What type of government is this?
Here’s part of the agenda of a recent governmental entity:
5. Discussion on a proposal to express Solidarity with Firestone Natural Rubber Company Workers in Liberia, and formulation of a recommendation to City Council.
6. Discussion on the Subcommittee on United Nations Reports and a recommendation to extend the Subcommittee through December 2008
7. Discussion on a request for the Peace & Justice Commission to co-sponsor the January 26, 2008 United Nations Association Symposium on the 60th Anniversary of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, and formulation of a recommendation to the City Council.
California National Guard Troops from Iraq
Changing the United States Drug Policy
Marine Recruiting Office in the City of Berkeley
Believe it or not, that’s a city council meeting. I don’t see anywhere in there where they actually discuss their own city’s maintenance.However, they did find time to:
- Asking the city attorney to investigate what the city can do with respect to the military recruiting office, given a conflict between the military’s prohibition against recruiting homosexuals and the city’s laws prohibiting discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation.
- Asking the city manager to write letters to various U.S. Marine officials, telling them “that the marine recruiting office is not welcome in our city, and if recruiters choose to stay, they do so as uninvited and unwelcome intruders.”
- Encouraging those groups that “volunteer to impede, passively or actively, by nonviolent means, the work of any military recruiting office located in the city of Berkeley.”
Folks, this stuff is straight out of their minutes. And, fearing not the military, apparently they do fear colognes, as they also demand:
Please refrain from wearing scented products to public meetings.
I kid you not. Straight out of THEIR agenda.
Berkeley, I’m here to tell ya. Most all of the rest of the country used to think your town is nuts. Now we know for sure they are. It’s bad enough to constantly trash people who’d lay down their lives for you all, but why the hell spend taxpayer money worrying about workers in Libya, the United Nations, and bunch of other crap that has nothing to do with the taxpayer money that put them there? I can guarantee you all 100% that if my councilor went to meetings and discussed nothing but garbage that did not affect my tax money, they’d be out ASAP. And, they know it. My city council’s pretty screwed up right now. But, I am quite certain, there is not a worse city council in the United States than Berkeley has right now. That agenda for the 2/2/04 meeting is a 100% waste of Berkeley taxpayer money. 100%. They are worried about everything BUT the welfare of Berkeley. I know a few people in Berkeley. They’re nowhere near as detached from reality as these council members are. I sure wish they’d run for council.
My idiot of the day, obviously, is most of the Berkeley City Council. Their arrogance and ignorance of why they are there amazes me.